Stand by...

You're about to be redirected to BenMartinCAE.com

November 02, 2005

ASAE & The Center Launches New Conference

I'm honored to be participating in a panel discussion of association community bloggers at ASAE & The Center's brand new Technology Conference. If this new conference is anything like the last new conference The Center launched (Great Ideas Conference) then this one should be a hum-dinger.

The discussion I'm participating in is on Web 2.0. This term has been tossed around quite a bit, and even though its demise has already been named, nobody has really come up with a definition for Web 2.0. However, someone has figured out what it isn't. Web 2.0 is all backed by a bunch of geeky code and API's I don't care to understand, but it's cool stuff.

When I first started in the association business, everyone was doing the chicken little routine about Web portals. When the dust settled, the alarmists were proven wrong: The industry survived, and the portals didn't. But Web 2.0 could be a more serious threat or opportunity.

Web 2.0 has been called "the participatory Web," where people interact in virtual space to collaborate on something meaningful. Hmm, take away the "virtual space" and it sounds a lot like a membership organization. For instance, my participation in the Business Experiment is an example. If you've left a comment on a blog, welcome to Web 2.0! Got a Flickr or Del.icio.us account? Web 2.0, baby! How about an unconference? Web 2.0 can make it happen.

I'm excited about this conference and this panel discussion, and I promise the panel will be lively. Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very much looking forward to this session, Ben! And I don't say that just because it was my idea. :)