Stand by...

You're about to be redirected to BenMartinCAE.com

December 04, 2005

The best defense is a good offense

Interesting post at Association Inc. on why people form associations in the first place, and what they often do wrong at the outset. I was particularly taken by Kevin's assertion that associations are generally formed to protect interests. Perhaps that's true, and if so, I believe it's a short-sighted reason to start an association.

Could they be more effective if new associations began with the view to change things, not protect things? An association's defensive gestures inevitably will infiltrate its staff culture. I'm not an organizational development expert, but I'd be willing to bet a dollar that organizational defensiveness breeds a fear of failure in its people, thereby limiting innovation. Mature, effective organizations are agents for change.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Well said. I came to the same conclusion I think, over at my place.