Stand by...

You're about to be redirected to BenMartinCAE.com

December 29, 2007

2007's New Association Terms

Every year, Lake Superior State University in Michigan publishes its list of banished words. Its 2008 list should be released shortly. In a similar vein, I'd like to create a list of new association words introduced during the previous year. Unfortunately, I'm not privy to all the new words entering the not-for-profit lexicon, so I need your assistance. I'll get the ball rolling with a few new words I've heard this year, and I hope you'll add your own in the comments.

  1. Adhocracy (n.): A organizational structure that emphasizes short-term assignments rather than standing committees.
  2. Ungovernance (n.): An association governance model grounded in three simple beliefs:
  • Associations exist to create value for a set or sets of stakeholders. Associations do not exist to be governed, but do require appropriate stewardship to ensure their value-creation efforts will thrive.
  • Innovation is about creating new value. Despite its difficulties, innovation is a remarkably effective way to deliver the value members, customers, and stakeholders need and to build a strong, enduring organization.
  • The focus of association stewardship must be the business model. Every other responsibility of governing the association must connect back to ensuring its sustainability for the long term.
I know there are others, and I have at least one more buried in the nether reaches of my brain. Please add your own new terms to the comments and I'll publish a full list in a few days.

Tagged: ; ; ;

No comments: